The Birmingham Class D Clean Air Zone in place on 1st June 2021 is now charging non-compliant vehicles. Charges started at 00:01 on 14th June.
Charges for non-compliant vehicles are applied daily from midnight to midnight with vehicles paying one for each day they enter the zone. Vehicles can move into and out of the zone during the day charged for without incurring additional charges.
The zone covers all the roads within the A4540 Middleway Ring Road and operates 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. The ring road is outside of the zone.
As a Class D CAZ all vehicles (apart from motorcycles and mopeds) that are not otherwise exempt will be charged.
• Diesel – Euro 6 (light vehicles) or Euro VI (heavy vehicles)
• Petrol - Euro 4
• Gas – Euro 6 (light vehicles) or Euro VI (heavy vehicles)
• Fully electric or hydrogen fuel cell
• Hybrid electric – the diesel/petrol engine must meet the relevant emission criteria
For vehicles not meeting the minimum emission standards the charges are:
- Cars, Taxi, Minibuses and LGVs: £8
- Coaches, Buses and HGVs: £50
The service allowing businesses to create a company account to register vehicles, pay charges if non-compliant vehicles enter the CAZ, can be accessed via the link below. To set an account the business will need to operate at least two vehicles.
Set up a business account: