Institute of Transport Administration

Educating Transport Management since 1944


AAIB Report: Beech 400A (N709EL), Brake seizure and mainwheel tyres deflated during landing, Newquay Airport, Cornwall

12th Apr 2024

£4.65 million for bus operators to help disabled passengers travel with confidence

10th Apr 2024

Airports granted extensions to install cutting-edge security technology - DfT

8th Apr 2024

Seafarers Health & Safety Handbook Updated

8th Apr 2024

The Air Accidents Investigation Branch Annual Review 2024

4th Apr 2024

View all news »


4 Mar 2020

What UK bus or coach drivers need to do to drive professionally in the EU from 1 January 2021.


Driving licences and international driving permits

You will still need to carry your UK driving licence with you.

You may also need an international driving permit (IDP) to drive in some EU and EEA countries from 1 January 2021.

The type of IDP that you may need will depend on the countries you will drive through. Further detail on this will be available later in 2020.

You will not need an IDP to drive when visiting Ireland if you have a UK driving licence.

You can get an IDP over the counter at the Post Office.


Driver CPC for bus and coach drivers

You need a Driver Certificate of Professional Competence (CPC) qualification to drive professionally in the UK, the EU, Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway and Switzerland.


If you work for a UK company and have a UK Driver CPC qualification

You will still need Driver CPC to drive professionally in the UK. You must still complete your Driver CPC periodic training by your deadline.

You do not need to do anything else if you’re a UK driver working for a UK company.

You will still be able to drive to or through EU countries with your UK Driver CPC qualification for all international journeys that UK companies are allowed to make.


If you work for an EU company and have a UK Driver CPC qualification

Exchange your UK Driver CPC qualification for an EU one if you work for an EU company or want to work for one from 1 January 2021.

The way you do this will depend on how the country where you live and work recognises Driver CPC. Some countries:

  • use a Driver CPC card (like the UK does) - this is sometimes called a ‘driver qualification card or ‘DQC’
  • add code 95 to the driving licence

Some countries recognise either method.


Countries that use code 95 on the driving licence

These countries add code 95 to driving licences as proof that drivers have the qualification:

Austria, Belgium, Finland, Germany, Greece, Iceland, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg (for resident drivers only), Malta, Netherlands, Norway, Poland and Slovenia.

Exchange your UK driving licence for a driving licence in the EU country where you live and work so that your Driver CPC qualification is exchanged. Check with the relevant organisation in the country to find out if you need to take any extra steps. Check with them how long it takes to make sure you do it in time.

If you do not live in the EU country where you work, your employer may be able to get you a driver attestation certificate.



You may need to renew your British passport earlier if you’re travelling from 1 January 2021.

On the day you travel, you’ll need your passport to both:

  • have at least 6 months left
  • be less than 10 years old (even if it has 6 months or more left)

If you do not renew it, you may not be able to travel to most EU countries, Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway and Switzerland.

It usually takes 3 weeks if you need to renew your passport. There’s a premium service if you need it sooner.

These rules do not apply to travel to Ireland. You can continue to use your passport as long as it’s valid for the length of your stay.



You should always get appropriate travel insurance with healthcare cover before you go abroad.

Your European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) card may not be valid from 1 January 2021.


Vehicle and trailer insurance

A ‘green card’ is proof that you have motor insurance cover when driving abroad. You should plan to carry one for the vehicle you’re driving in the EU and EEA from 1 January 2021.

You will need to carry multiple green cards if:

  • you have fleet insurance – you’ll need a green card for each vehicle
  • your vehicle is towing a trailer or caravan - you’ll need one for the towing vehicle and one for the trailer / caravan (you need separate trailer insurance in some countries)
  • you have 2 policies covering the duration of your trip, for example, if your policy renews during the journey

Make sure your employer contacts their vehicle insurance provider at least 1 month before you need green cards.


GB stickers and number plates

Display a Great Britain (GB) sticker on the rear of the vehicle and trailer, even if the vehicle has a number plate with the Euro symbol or a GB national identifier.

You do not need to display a GB sticker to drive in Ireland.


What to do if you run a bus or coach company

Find out what you need to do to run international bus and coach services from 1 January 2021.