Institute of Transport Administration

Educating Transport Management since 1944


HGV Driver suffers life-changing injuries after being electrocuted

18th Apr 2024

DFT Consolation on removal of 50km restriction

17th Apr 2024

PSVAR review call for evidence response set for further delay

17th Apr 2024

Ready for carers leave??

16th Apr 2024

DfT Consultation - Amendments to licensing restrictions: bus, coach and heavy goods vehicles

16th Apr 2024

View all news »

International road haulage – Driver documentation

14 Jan 2021

The documents which need to be carried if you’re the driver or a passenger in a lorry or other heavy goods vehicle (HGV) that crosses international borders can be checked at the link below.

The information has been updated to include information on:

  • International Driving Permits (IDPs) to confirm that it will usually not need one to drive in the EU, Iceland, Liechtenstein or Switzerland.
  • Driver CPC section to make it clear your UK Driver CPC card can still be used in the EU if you’re employed by a UK company.
  • Healthcare section to confirm that UK-issued European Health Insurance Cards (EHICs) issued before the end of 2020 are still accepted in EU countries, until their expiry date, and there will be different rules for people travelling to Norway, Iceland, Liechtenstein and Switzerland.
  • Green Cards need to be carried to prove you have vehicle and trailer insurance.
  • Coronavirus (COVID-19) test results for journeys from England to France.
  • Checking an HGV is ready to cross the border and getting a Kent Access Permit.

Further information: