Institute of Transport Administration

Educating Transport Management since 1944


Regulatory decisions about truck, bus and coach operator licences and safety standards

6th Jun 2024

A vision for GB Type Approval

4th Jun 2024

Regulatory decisions made about the conduct of professional drivers

30th May 2024

Self-driving vehicles set to be on roads by 2026 as Automated Vehicles Act becomes law

27th May 2024

Transport goods in Europe in vans or car and trailers

23rd May 2024

View all news »


4 Mar 2020

Run occasional international services

The UK will join the Interbus Agreement. This will allow the international carriage of passengers by bus or coach.

It applies to the EU, Albania, Bosnia and Herzegovina, North Macedonia, Montenegro, Moldova, Turkey and Ukraine.

The UK’s membership of the Interbus Agreement will allow international occasional services to continue.

Check back for updates regarding the status of UK’s membership of the Interbus Agreement.

Your drivers will need to carry the following documents:

Run regular international services

The Interbus Agreement does not yet cover regular or special regular services. It is expected to be extended to cover them before 1 January 2021.

You will be able to apply to run new regular or special regular services when the Interbus Agreement is extended to cover these.

Check back for updates.


Services to non-EU countries or countries not in the Interbus Agreement

Bus and coach operators will not be able to run:

  • regular services to outside of the EU, Iceland, Liechtenstein and Norway
  • occasional services to countries which are not in the EU or are not part of the Interbus Agreement
  • regular or special regular services in the EU if the Interbus Agreement is not extended

You’ll be able to drive through countries that are not in the Interbus Agreement, but they cannot be your destination.


Your service could drive through Switzerland, but it would not be allowed to stop there.


Register your vehicle trailers

You must register these types of trailers before you drive to or through most EU countries, Iceland, Liechtenstein and Norway:

  • commercial trailers weighing over 750kg
  • non-commercial trailers weighing over 3,500kg

Register your trailer to take it abroad now.


Vehicle registration documents

Your drivers will need to carry your vehicle registration documents when driving abroad for less than 12 months. This can be either:

  • the vehicle log book (V5C), if you have one
  • VE103 to show you’re allowed to use a hired or leased vehicle abroad

Display GB stickers

Display a Great Britain (GB) sticker on the rear of the vehicle and trailer, even if the vehicle has a number plate with the Euro symbol or a GB national identifier.

You do not need to display a GB sticker to drive in Ireland.


Vehicle and trailer insurance

A ‘green card’ is proof of motor insurance cover when driving abroad. Your drivers should plan to carry one for the vehicle they’re driving in the EU and EEA from 1 January 2021.

Your drivers will need to carry multiple green cards if:

  • you have fleet insurance - you will need a green card for each vehicle
  • their vehicle is towing a trailer - they will need one for the towing vehicle and one for the trailer (separate trailer insurance is needed in some countries)
  • there are 2 policies covering the duration of the trip, for example, if the policy renews during the journey
  • Contact your vehicle insurance provider at least 1 month before you need green cards.