Institute of Transport Administration

The Old Studio,
25 Greenfield Road
Westoning, Beds MK45 5JD

t: 44 (0)1525 634940
m: 44 (0)7768 303588
e: director@iota.org.uk



Major upgrades to the A4119 in Wales

Driver Conduct Hearing Outcomes

DVSA Issue important notice regarding trailer brake test

Consultation on Clandestine Entrant Civil Penalties

Call for evidence on driving licence changes

View all news »

Drive an HGV or bus professionally while you're training

27 Oct 2021

Drive an HGV or bus professionally while you're training

The National Vocational Training (NVT) concession allows candidates to apply to drive an HGV, bus or coach professionally for up to 12 months before taking all the qualifying tests if certain training courses are being undertaken.

Normally candidates need to pass 4 Driver Certificate of Professional Competence (CPC) tests before they’re allowed to start driving a heavy goods vehicle (HGV), bus or coach professionally.

If they’re taking certain training courses, candidates can apply to start driving professionally after passing both of these tests:

This may enable them to drive professionally for up to 12 months before taking both of these tests:

Applications for the concession are made through JAUPT and cost £25.00.  Candidates must meet the criteria to be eligible.  They must have:

  • passed the Driver CPC part 1 and part 3 tests
  • not used an NVT concession before
  • registered for an eligible training course or apprenticeship that lasts for at least 6 months and leads to a qualification

further information: