The Settlement Scheme to remain resident and work in the UK allows EU/EEA citizens to continue to study, work and live in the UK post-Brexit. The scheme is free, but the deadline is 30th June 2021.
The UK-EU Transition period ended at 23:00 on 31 December 2020, and from that point free movement ended which means that EU/EEA nationals can no longer automatically enter the UK to live or to work for a UK based employer.
To be eligible to apply for the scheme the employee must be:
• an EU national with a valid passport (not identity card)
• a citizen of Norway, Lichtenstein, Iceland with a valid passport
• a Swiss citizen with a valid passport
• an eligible family member of the above
• and must have been resident in the UK or arrived before 31 December 2020
If your employee is having difficulties with the Settlement Scheme they can contact the Home Office Resolution Centre online.
They can also telephone 0300 123 7379 between 09:30 and 16:30 on weekdays.
The Home Office will permit individuals who have missed the 30 June 2021 deadline to resolve their immigration status by making late applications to the EU Settlement Scheme.
Individuals who make a late application must have a “good reason” for applying late to the scheme
If an individual does not have a good reason, then the Home Office will not accept the late application and it will be refused