Institute of Transport Administration

Educating Transport Management since 1944


Transport goods in Europe in vans or car and trailers

23rd May 2024

Update on Driver CPC reforms

22nd May 2024

New laws to be introduced to prosecute dangerous cyclists

16th May 2024

Making a false tachograph record is a dismissible offence: TC

14th May 2024

View all news »

Transporting goods between Great Britain and the EU by RoRo freight: guidance for hauliers

7 Oct 2021

Guidance for haulage companies and commercial drivers moving accompanied (self-drive) RoRo freight and unaccompanied RoRo, pick up/drop off trailers, freight between Great Britain (England, Scotland and Wales) and the European Union.

The guidance explains:

  • what documents you need
  • how to follow new rules to manage traffic heading to ports
  • new border control processes

Guidance on moving goods between Great Britain and Northern Ireland will be published separately.

The guidance also contains information regarding securing a vehicle when travelling to and from the UK

UK, non-EU and EU haulage companies and their drivers must secure vehicles coming into the UK to reduce the risk of becoming a victim of crime.

Drivers crossing the UK-EU border should be aware of the potential threats to vehicles and loads and how they can help stop ‘clandestine entrants’. A clandestine entrant is a person who hides in or on a vehicle to avoid going through UK border control.

If a driver does not secure a vehicle, and is found carrying clandestine entrants into

the UK and UK controlled zones, the vehicle’s driver, owner or hirer can each be fined up to £2,000 for each person found (also known as a ‘civil penalty’).

The law applies to all arrivals into the UK or UK control zones, including from European ports and via the Eurotunnel.

There are new rules for personal allowances on Goods

If you are travelling to Great Britain (GB) from outside the UK, there are new rules on goods you can bring in for your own use without having to pay tax or duty, and whether any declarations will need to be made.

Rules for drivers and personal food and drink

Drivers travelling to and from the EU should be aware of the rules about what personal food, drink and plants they can take with them. These rules apply to items carried on their person, in luggage or in the vehicle.

Drivers cannot take products containing meat or dairy (e.g. a ham and cheese sandwich or coffee with milk) into (now) or out of the EU (from 1 Jan 2022). Almost all plants and plant products, including fruits, vegetables, flowers and seeds, require a phytosanitary certificate before being allowed into the EU.