Institute of Transport Administration

Educating Transport Management since 1944


AAIB Report: Beech 400A (N709EL), Brake seizure and mainwheel tyres deflated during landing, Newquay Airport, Cornwall

12th Apr 2024

£4.65 million for bus operators to help disabled passengers travel with confidence

10th Apr 2024

Airports granted extensions to install cutting-edge security technology - DfT

8th Apr 2024

Seafarers Health & Safety Handbook Updated

8th Apr 2024

The Air Accidents Investigation Branch Annual Review 2024

4th Apr 2024

View all news »

Check which International Road Haulage permit you need

25 Mar 2024

Find out which licences and permits you need to operate vehicles with a gross vehicle weight above 3.5 tonnes on international journeys from the UK.

If you operate vehicles with a gross vehicle weight rating above 3.5 tonnes on international journeys, you need a number of licences and permits.

You must have a vehicle operator licence to carry your own goods, and other people’s goods, both in the UK and on international journeys.

You must also have goods vehicle operator licence to use vehicles over 2.5 tonnes to transport goods to or through Europe.

A bilateral road haulage permit is now needed to travel to or through Azerbaijan, instead of a European Conference of Ministers of Transport (ECMT) international road haulage permit.

Permits are needed for 9 non-EU countries that the UK has agreements with to transport goods to or through those countries. These countries are:

Azerbaijan, Belarus, Georgia, Kazakhstan, Morocco, Russia, Tunisia, Turkey and Ukraine.  (Bilateral permits are not currently available for Belarus, Russia and Ukraine because of the Russian invasion of Ukraine)

The other licences and permits you need depend on which countries the vehicle will travel to or through.

Further information: